The governing body are central to the recruitment of new staff. Here is an example of the governors' contributions during the recent appointment of a new deputy head.
- Ensure a member of the governing body has attended 'Safer Recruitment' training with the local authority.
- Discussions on what school / governors want from a new deputy head
- Write up a job advert
- Governors meet to shortlist following the closing date of applications (five governors on the panel)
- Candidates who are successful at application are invited to perform a lesson observation and written task
- Candidates were then narrowed down, in this case to three candidates, for interview
- Interviews took place in May at The Bluecoat School, with a panel consisting of Mr. Simpson (HT), Laurie Kwissa (School SIP), Claire Glare (Chair of Governors), Gill Malone (Vice-chair of governors), Mrs. Denton (staff governors) and Charlie Coyne (co-opted governor.
- Following interviews and discussion, the new deputy headteacher was chosen.